Thursday, February 5, 2009

MIY - More about the VISION...

The more and more I think about where this project can go the more excited I get about it. We have received overwhelming support from friends, family and everyday people who have been willing to support us through modeling for our project. To date, we’ve only had one person say “no” and that was perfectly fine. I can say from personal experience that it’s been a little awkward; I mean challenging asking people; okay women to model for us. I get that initial “are you crazy”? look or the “do I look like I’m stupid to you” ? Many are very flattered to be asked and they should be as I explain to every model in person and in our meetings the specific reason I chose them for the project. I believe that puts them more at ease along with the fact that they get a chance to meet the other crazy people; I mean models who have agreed to participate.

Recently I asked a waitress at one of the local restaurants to participate and a woman at a local bank. The waitress agreed and the bank teller is still considering it and I hope she says yes. I loved her look for our group of models and have very specific reasons I sought her out and how I want to use her. I had a woman ask me the other day “why do you want me, I’m not diverse”? My response was that without you we’re not a very diverse group. The project is all about bringing out something unique and diverse in each of our models that is about their ethnicity and what make them who they are. My challenge and that of my partner will be to find that and bring it out in how we “capture” each individual. There is overt beauty and diversity but there are also aspects of our true beauty and self (who we really are) that many of us never get to see; either because we’re not paying enough attention or that the environment isn’t conducive. Whatever the case, I am going to quote Ray Charles in saying “I’m gonna make it do what it do baby”...

This project will may start with photography but I believe it will quickly mature and transcend it. It will help each of us (even us photographers) become a little more comfortable in our own skin or bring out what’s been hiding inside screaming to get out. I hope to hear comments like “I can’t believe that’s me”; “I never knew that about…” etc. As you might have guessed, the model selection of this project is the easiest part. Getting each model comfortable with us, inviting us into their world and capturing them through photography is the most challenging piece. So, stay tuned for more from me as I continue my journey and theme of “FOCUSing on what’s most important…

No comments:

Post a Comment